Saturday, November 1, 2014

Chalk Paint 101 at TLC Vintage Collection

Happy Saturday... hope it's been a good one for you! Just wanted to share a quick post with you today about the Chalk Paint class I was able to attend. In my rush to get the kids ready and out the door, I forgot to grab my camera! Thankfully I did have my phone so I was able to take a few photos throughout.

I've mentioned TLC Vintage Collection before.  It's the wonderful little vintage shop in Des Moines that I buy my specialty paint supplies from... Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. This is where my class was today. She offers several different workshops but I wanted to start at the beginning, so I opted for the Chalk Paint 101 Plus. It was awesome... I am so thankful I had the opportunity to do this. Janet Piller (owner of this shop) offered me this class as a birthday present. She said that I've sent some business her way and this was her way of saying thanks. So thank you to everyone who has stopped by her shop and made mention that "Mimi sent you!" I really appreciate that.

I happily put my apron on this morning and went to work...


In the Chalk Paint 101 class we went over six paint techniques along with clear and dark wax methods. Janet has a wealth of information which she readily shares. I love the hands-on approach and I know a lot of other people do too. Video tutorials on the internet are great and very helpful but this was a big step-up for me.


 My painting has been very basic thus far and I definitely prefer a clean and simple look but this will help me branch out a bit. My favorite techniques from today were the liming, the color wash and the dry brushing. This class confirmed for me that I do not like dark wax... just a personal preference thing and I'm probably in the minority there. While I love whites, greys and other neutrals... it was fun to work with some bold and beautiful colors today...

 

It was a great group of ladies today. I think there were nine or ten of us total. (wish I had my camera to get the whole group in this shot) We did a good job getting messy and that is half the fun. So if you decide to take a painting class, wear your painting clothes! If you want to see a list of classes that are offered, click here .



Go check out this shop when you get a chance. You can see the beautiful furniture she has painted and the dreamy vintage housewares. You may find treasure to take home for yourself.
  
Located in the Sherwood Forest Shopping Center
7518 Hickman Rd
Windsor Heights (Des Moines), IA 50324  
M-F  10 am to 5 p
 Sat   10 am to 3 pm 
 
Keep up to date with TLC Vintage Collection on Facebook. 
You can find their page here .
 
Thanks for stopping by!







1 Comments:

Blogger The Vintage Iowan said...

Mimi -- It was great fun to have you in class and I am really glad you enjoyed it! Always fun to share knowledge with people who love the best paint in the world! Chalk Paint(R) by Annie Sloan.

November 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home